October 2020 Quiz:
The October quiz was intended to give you a taste of the ISED Advanced qualification exam with a few sample questions. Here are the correct answers:
- What are the three terminals of a junction field-effect transistor (JFET)?
A) Emitter, base 1, base 2
B) Gate, drain, source
C) Emitter, base, collector
D) Gate 1, gate 2, drain
- What receiver stage combines a 14.25-MHz input signal with a 13.795-MHz oscillator signal to produce a 455-kHz intermediate frequency (IF) signal?
- What is the significant bandwidth of an FM-phone transmission having a +/- 5-kHz deviation and a 3-kHz modulating frequency?
A) 3 kHz
B) 8 kHz
C) 16 kHz from Carson’s rule for FM bandwidth: FMBW = 2 x (Deviation + Modulation Frequency)
D) 5 kHz
- What is the Effective Radiated Power (with respect to a dipole) of an amateur transmitter, if the transmitter output power is 200 watts, the transmission line loss is 5 watts, and the antenna power gain is 3 dBd?
A) 197 watts
B) 390 watts Pwr into ant. = 200W-5W = 195W. For ERP, add antenna gain of 3 dB (double power)
C) 178 watts
D) 228 watts
- The power supplied to the antenna transmission line by a transmitter during an RF cycle at the highest crest of the modulation envelope is known as:
A) carrier power
B) full power
C) mean power
D) peak-envelope power
We hope that you did well enough to consider studying for and writing the Advanced qualification exam if you don’t already have it.